RC Transport.org.uk

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RC Transport.org.uk

Forum for radio controlled vehicle owners and enthusiasts. Home to the south east (Kent) detlin Rc truck meets. Tamiya trucks robbe and dammitz alike

5 posters

Kenworth K100 Aerodyne

wombat
    wombat
    Learner driver
    Learner driver

Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Empty Kenworth K100 Aerodyne

Post  wombat Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 am

Well. What can I say? After 1 year and 2 weeks it’s finally finished!!!!

After winning a Globeliner with built chassis I was pondering whether to try and convert it to an International 9001 cab over as this truck has very similarities to the Globeliner. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks…. Why not have a go at a legendary Kenworth K100 Aerodyne. And now the story begins.

I saw an advert in for MCA alloy parts (Michael Cherry Aluminium) in Truck Model World and contacted him to see if he could help with some parts, luckily I have an un built Revell 1/25 scale Kenworth K100 Aerodyne so I posted the parts off to Michael along with drawings and dimensions. After a short time Michael confirmed that the parts were possible to fabricate.

I started with the chassis; first I lengthened the rails by 3 inches (75mm) from Garden Trucking. The front spring was coiled around a pair of pliers to shorten then the mounting brackets were re drilled so that the axle is set forward. The fuel tanks were made to measure and brought off of e-bay. Next I scratch built the battery box and added an air cylinder. The air filter cylinder is a modified 1/16 scale monograme part. A new mounting plate was made for the bumper and that’s basically the chassis.

Now for the difficult part.

Two Arodyne roofs were purchased off of BAM Modellbau as one was too short, these were “cut and shut” together, the Globliner cab was cut to accept with plenty of strengthening bars and filler. The wheel arches were cut away and new one formed to suit the set forward axle. The majority of the work is re-working the front panel around the headlights. All holes were filled and new ones drilled to accept the grab rails. The visor is a trimmed and re-worked Globeliner part and so are the indicators.

The truck has a Tamiya MFU fitted inside the cab, the speaker is in the Aerodyne roof and the MFU is behind a false wall behind the seats, I was able to drill the MFU control panel in the rear wall of the cab so all the electrics are out of site.

Below is a list of suppliers where I purchased the parts.

Grill, bumper, grab rails and exhaust tips. http://www.mca-model-accessories.co.uk/
    Lights, chassis extensions, rear light panel and fuel caps. http://www.gardentrucking.com/
    Aerodyne roof. http://www.bam-modellbau.de/index.html
    Air horns and driver figure. http://www.verkerk-modelbouw.nl/index_bestanden/Page293.htm
    Wheels, wipers and fuel tanks were off of e-bay.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture002
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne 29012011020
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne 29012011022
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture064-2
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture062-2
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture070-2
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture069-1
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture152-1
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture157
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture156-1
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture155-1
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture154
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture153
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture160
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture158
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture161
    Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Picture162-2

Rich81
    Rich81
    Wagon and drag
    Wagon and drag

Kenworth K100 Aerodyne Empty Re: Kenworth K100 Aerodyne

Post  Rich81 Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Once again Pete an amazing piece of work prob the best KW i have seen done for a while, hopefully now you know whats involved youy can help me with my King Hauler fo KW conversion Very Happy
    LITTLE TRUCKER PAT
    LITTLE TRUCKER PAT
    Box van man
    Box van man

Post  LITTLE TRUCKER PAT Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:26 am

GREAT JOB PETE WELL DONE
    ihudson
    ihudson
    Box van man
    Box van man

Post  ihudson Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 am

Yet another one of your masterpeices pete
    Moqus
    Moqus
    Wagon and drag
    Wagon and drag

Post  Moqus Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:09 pm

I tell u what the stacks are all wrong on this truck Pete and for that reason I'm out
    No excuses
    I expected better from you

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 pm